Weeroona College History
In June 2011, White Hills Technical School, Weeroona College Bendigo as it is now known, celebrated its fiftieth birthday as we packed and prepared to vacate the original buildings known as A, B, C and D Wings.
In July 1955 the current site was chosen to build a Technical School to relieve the crowding of the Junior School at the Bendigo Technical College. It is claimed that there were seven white hills mainly mined by the Chinese in the 1850’s.
In 1960 the first section of the school was built and completed in 1961 at a cost of £100,000. On June 16 1961, still under the control of the Bendigo Technical College the school was officially opened. During 1961/1962 the other sections were completed. The starting salary for technical teachers was £830 for men and just 80% of this for women. Over the past 50 years many wonderful students, staff members and parents have been associated with our school.
Commemorative Event in 2013
During 2013 we commemorated the important milestone, of our school beginnings, and officially opened our new school.